Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment
Moodle is the official Learning Management System for Federation University Australia. It is the main place that you will find course materials and announcements from lecturers/teachers. Access to your courses in Moodle is usually available from orientation week.
Logging on to Moodle
1. From the Students menu at the top of the Federation University website, select Moodle from the Login options.
- Enter your Student Username and Password in the fields provided.
- Click LOG IN. The course(s) in which you are enrolled appear under the ‘My Classes’ drop-down list.
Note: If a particular course does not appear in your My Classes drop-down, it may be that the lecturer in charge of it has not yet made them available. Contact your lecturer to confirm this first.
If you have managed to log in to Moodle but are having difficulties, you can get support here.
FedUni has enabled the Moodle Mobile app, which has a range of features for students. It does not support all the functions you need to complete your studies, so should only be used as an aide.
You can access the mobile app from your Moodle dashboard. Once logged in to Moodle, go to Profile, and click View QR Code.
- Scan the QR code with your mobile app
- Select the app store suitable for your device
- Keep up with and contribute to forum discussions in your course
- Message other users
- Receive alerts and reminders of important events in your course
- Take some key learning content offline (where supported and necessary)
Only download content when connected to FedUni or other free WiFi otherwise you may incur costly data charges.
We do not recommend or support the following uses of the app:
- Submitting assignments
- Downloading video or other large files
Mobile Data yes or no?
If you’re worried about incurring large data costs using the Moodle Mobile app, then disable mobile data. The app will work fine if you’re connected to a wifi network such as the free Federation University wifi.
Access your classes
1. To access your courses click on the Menu Icon in the top left of the screen.
2. The first option in the menu is the My Courses. Clicking this will display a list of all of the courses you are enrolled in.
3. Click on a Course title to be taken to the course page.
When you enter a course in the app you will be shown topic 0. To navigate the course, use the menu to the left of the screen. This menu displays the topics in the course, the same as the Navigation block in Moodle on your computer.
From the main menu, tap Notifications.
All notifications will be provided in a chronological list. Tapping view on a notification will take you to that item.
The app allows you to utilise the IM feature in Moodle.
From the Main menu, tap Messages.
All messages would be listed in chronological order. Tapping on a person’s name in the list will display the conversation.
In the chat window you can reply to a message by tapping New Message and then to send the message tapping Send.
To start a new conversation with someone tap the Contacts button.
In the Search box type the name of the person you would like to chat with.
Tap their name to open the chat window.
You have the option in the app to download resources for future viewing. If you know you will be using the app away from a WiFi network, it is advisable that you download the resources while connected to WiFi. Items that can be downloaded will have a cloud icon next to them.
For example you may want to download a Moodle book so you can read it on the go.
1. Navigate to the course and topic that contains the item you’d like to download.
2. Tap the cloud icon to the right-hand side of the item
3. Once the download has completed the cloud icon will disappear. This item will now be available when you are offline.
Supported Moodle activities
A small number of Moodle activities are not supported in the Moodle app. If you attempt to use one of these, the app will push you to your device’s browser where you will be able to use the activity. This may not be the best experience and we suggest you use the desktop browser on your computer for the non-supported activities.
|Assignment||Group Self Select|
|Choice||Kaltura Video Assignment|
|External Tool (Adobe Connect)|